Fall Protection in Telecommunication (Tower Climbing)
Course Duration: Two (2) Days
Course Synopsis: Attendants shall learn the OSHA standards covering Fall Protection in Telecommunications (Tower Climbing), the equipment and the application limits. They will get a hand on practice in tower climbing and the fall protection equipment and be made aware of all the aspects of the equipment and materials that they are working with.
Who Should Attend: Engineers, foremen, technicians and all who are interested in learning about Fall Protection in Telecommunications.
Prerequisites: Be able to understand and communicate in English. Working experience in tower climbing is an added benefit.
What Will Attendants Learn?
- Better understanding of the Fall Arrest System and its application limits;
- Fall Arrest Systems Inspection and Maintenance;
- Proper Anchorage;
- Proper Climbing Techniques;
- Tie-off Techniques; and
- Harness Sizing and Donning.
Program Training Methods:
- Theoretical Lectures (Power Point Presentations);
- Team Participation; and
- On-the-job training
Instruction Materials: The OSHA Fall Protection in telecommunications guide. Supporting Equipments: To effectively interact with the attendants, an LC projector, a sound system and a flip chart with markers need to be provided to the trainer. Sponsor to provide the supporting equipments.
Fall Protection in Telecommunications Outline
Day (1) in class lecture
- General safety issues;
- Introducing the fall arrest system and its application limits
- Full-body harness v.s. body belt
- Lanyard with energy absorber
- Self retracting lifeline
- Rope grab
- Vertical lifeline
Fall arrest system inspection and maintenance;
Harness sizing and donning;
Calculating fall clearance;
- Tie-off techniques
- Compatibility of connectors
- Swing fall hazards
- Environmental issues;
- Personnel issues; and
- Methods of Communications
Day (2) field training
- Safe climbing inspection;
- Proper climbing techniques; and
- Proper anchorage techniques.